Thursday, July 28, 2011

pwning creationists obsolete?

          It seems to me that the once popular youtube act of disproving creationist claims is slowly dying away. The way I look at it, there's only so much that can be said. Thunderf00t made his "Why do people laugh at creationists" series, cdk007 made his long list of videos refuting creationist claims and Kent Hovind claims, DonExodus2 did the same- and this all happened the most frequently over two years ago.         
          Now I'm not saying that we no longer need to refute creationists anymore because as long as there's a new creationist video, that's proof and evidence that the idea that creationists exist is accurate and correct. However, since venomfangx's videos are more polished but utterly pointless, no one takes nephilimfree seriously anymore, all of the other anti-creationists have sort of gone rogue. Thunderf00t had his episode of Islam drama, DonExodus went on a hiatus, and I started my UFO conspiracy rabbit hole phase.
          I don't think the act of pwning creationists has stopped. It has just slown down. Perhaps this is a good sign? Maybe this is a sign that we are winning in the long run? Who knows. But if you ever get the idea that maybe it's dying away, just remember the Question Evolution campaign, CMI is still up and running, Eric Hovind is still running his mouth, and Ray Comfort is still successful.
          We may have different ways of handling creationists nowadays. Personally, I have satire. I don't really spend my time refuting claims as much as I used to because I've refuted every creationist claim there ever was (as far as I know.. and I've been doing this for a while), some a few times, and I don't feel like repeating myself. I go about it by pretending to be one of them but a far more extreme version, if that makes sense, (i.e. Question Gravity). TheLivingDinosaur goes about it with his unique vocabulary rich montages of pictorial refutations. And there are other examples of this modern ignorance epidemic being combated as well.

Thoughts?

(you don't have to be logged in or have an account to post a comment)

6 comments:

  1. Theres still creationists everywhere and wherever we see them, we have to do something because we can't just sit there and let them be because then how will they learn? The war is far from over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that too. not too much religotard shit as there was before

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, this battle is far from over. I found another fundie on YouTube who I really need to debunk... because he's annoying the piss out of me with his BS. This will go on for a long time, but in the long run the result is obvious.

    It does seem to me that new angles to this 'debate' are required though. Satire is a good one but I think my future approach is going to be to try and point out the flaws in reasoning that creationists suffer from and see if I can get them to recognise them. Or even just to get them to recognise how inherently dishonest their position is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got in a debate with my nephew who sounds like he has never gotten in a discussion with anyone outside of his Creationist religious cult. I found your most recent video about evolution being a conspiracy exactly what he thinks. But I know if I post it for him to see (he told me he thinks Dawkins is evil), it will be too much for him and he'd unfriend me! So sensitive . . . I'll have to save that one to use later. It's a fantastic video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I pointed out on MY blog, atheists and evolutionists come in a variety of stripes. Some DO make either atheism, and/or evolution or both into their religion. These people are no better than their opposition.

    The only way to combat ignorance is with education. Yelling, "you're a cocksucker for believing that shit!" won't win any battles, but may inflame the opposition more making it that much more entrenched.

    To fight ignorance, you attack education. Don't allow instructors, administrators or boards to introduce anything but science into science classes. AronRa did this when he blasted the Texas BoE with brilliance (though hew is becoming something of a zealot himself now - which is playing into the hands of the religious nutjobs).

    ReplyDelete